Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Memories!

I am finally spending a Christmas at my home town. It was funny to try and explain to our friends in AZ who have not spent much time in CO that it is not a guarantee of a White Christmas. In fact, I don't remember very many White Christmases. One of the things I am really looking forward to is spending Christmas Eve with my extended family. Growing up we would go up to Meme and Pa's house for Christmas Eve and it was one of the few times (three in fact) that I would see some of our family. It was always so much fun. Yes, times have changed and not all my Aunts and Uncles are able to be there because lives get crazy, but I will get to see some of them and see one of my Uncles for the first time in six years.

One of my favorite memories is the Christmas of '84. We got stuck up in Evergreen because of a blizzard. So we got to spend the night, which was awesome because I got to spend more time with my Aunts. We left early the next morning. Of course by then the highway was plowed and it was clear sailing all the way down the mountain. Then we got to our street! See growing up we had a Dodge Omni, yes it was a small low clearance car and we got stuck at the end of the street. My brother and I had a great time while my dad dug the car out. We were able to dig tunnels and fort and snowmen. How I loved those storms.

One of my favorite Christmas presents was when I was 12. My parents and grandparents went together to get me and my brother and dad season passes to Keystone. That year we went skiing so many times and got to night ski for the first time. I remember how excited I was to get that and the fun that my dad and I had. It is still something that I enjoy doing with my dad, even if we have not been in a long time. I am hoping that it will change soon, but I know it will not happen this year :( Plus, I learned a long time ago not to go up during Christmas week!

One of our new traditions that we have started with Zane is making ornaments for his grandparents and us. His first Christmas he was only a month and still in the NICU, but his second Christmas we did the "hand" print, but used his foot. Last year we did the traditional "cookie dough" ones and Zane painted them. This year we made little jingle bells. I cut up an egg carton then Zane and I wrapped them in foil. I poked a hole in the top and Zane painted them with glitter paint/glue and sequence. I then put a sparkle pipe cleaner and strung a jingle bell on it and twisted it on. It is perfect because "Jingle Bells" is the only Christmas song he will sing.

I am so looking forward to new memories. What are some of your favorite memories?

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! May God bless you and give you comfort during this wonderful time of year when Our Savior was born.

No comments: