Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Art Supply Must

In the fall session of preschool we did a cool art project using stencils and an accordion like paint blower. I loved this tool and asked what it was. I heard "paint billow". So I started out on the mission. I went to Joann's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Ace Hardware, Office Max and even Lowe's. I looked on line too. Everything turned up as a dead end. Many knew what I was talking about but no one stocked it or knew where to find it. In fact, when they would offer advice I always said "tried there." So very frustrating! Then I had the brilliant idea to ask Zane's preschool teacher again. This time via e-mail. This was the key. I was spelling it wrong. I heard bIllow (like pillow) but it was bEllow! Problem solved. Well kind of...none of the stores carry them locally so I had to order on line (and pay outrageous shipping). But it is fun and there are so many opportunities.

Here is what we did today!
You can tell which one I did, I hope. Which then lead me to an idea and after looking at the calendar I am going to do it. On Sunday the 14th is Flag Day (also my niece and nephew's birthdays! Happy Birthday J and M). So I think that I am going to have a couple of Zane's friends over to make flags!

They will each get their own piece of paper, some masking tape and a stencil (if I can find any that are cheap and I like). Then they will get a little container of some different color paints and a paint bellow and make their own flag. Can't wait to see how this turns out. We will also have a story about the American Flag and I may find little flags for each to have. But I have not gotten that far yet......just thinking out loud.....plus you may want to do the same thing.

So what is a paint bellow?

It is this
It reminds me of an accordion with a nose like an ant eater. So you may be asking where you can get one? Well I found my here. They come in a pack of 3. There are other places, but this is the cheapest (however their shipping was outrageous) so you may want to check here or here.

I also have been trying to cut out all artificial everything from Zane's diet. That includes: high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, flavors, nitrates, nitrate and any artificial sweeteners. I was given this website and also told that apples should be included because they carry some of the same properties as artificial sweeteners. I was very surprised by this. However, they same friend told me that pears are a great substitute.

Zane LOVES apple sauce! When I was told this I did not know what I was going to do. But I found a recipe for pear sauce, because Sprouts did not have any, and I did a little modification. The original is here. What I did: first I did not have 9 pounds of pears, I used Boca Pears, and I did not can them!

Recipe
4 Boca Pears, peeled, cored and sliced (in cubes)
1/8 Cup water
1/4 tsp lemon juice
ground cinnamon to taste

1. Combine pears and water in a sauce pan and bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring often until pears are soft. The smaller you cut the pears the softer they get.
2. Add lemon juice and the cinnamon and bring to a boil. Simmer sauce uncovered until as thick as desired. (I knew that Zane would not like chunckies so I used a little smoothie mixer to try and get it smoother. It was not smooth enough. Next time I will need to use the blender or food processor).
3. Let cool. Put in an air tight container and in the refrigerator. It says it will keep for a month there or a year in the freezer.

I am not up for canning when it is 100+ out.

We had some for lunch today. It was soooo yummy! You would not even notice there was no sugar added. It was super sweet!

No comments: