Sunday, May 11, 2008

Wall Bed

For those of you who have had to endure my ramblings about the wall bed I've been making in my garage, here are some pictures of the un-finished project. This picture is of the bottom of the bed which becomes false cabinetry when the bed is being stored upright. This part of the project is pretty much done. I just have to add the false drawer fronts and then build the cabinet frame which is attached to the wall. Some beds use a spring system to raise and lower the bed. This particular model uses gas pistons similar to those found on the back of a mini-van or hatch-back.
This picture shows how it will look with the false drawer fronts. I haven't put the handles on yet but they match the ones shown above. This picture is a close up of the top or foot of the bed. The outer 2 pieces of mold with handles pop out and become the leg supports as you will see in the next picture.
This bed has a cool feature that you can't see from this angle but when the leg is extended out it opens the locking mechanism at the top which keeps the bed locked upright when being stored.
Just another picture from a different angle.

I'll post more pictures as I get further along in the project. Also, I want to send out a special Thank-you to my grand-pa who has listened patiently and let me pick his brain on not only this project but pretty much every other wood-working project I've undertaken.
P.S. This post was actually written by Zanesdaddy because I can't figure out how to change the "posted by" name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work

iamchanelle said...

that is AWESOME. way to go, zanesdaddy!